Shipment Compliance

Do I Need A Certificate For Exporting To Nigeria?

Products subject to the SONCAP and requiring a SONCAP Certificate

Yes – if you are shipping regulated products to Nigeria you will need a SONCAP Certificate.

Products subject to SONCAP Certification

All products are regulated under SONCAP with the exception of those products that are listed in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Circular (SON/SONCAP/EX/Vol.I/005).

The regulated products shall comply with the Nigerian Essential Requirements, Technical Regulations and approved Standards prior to their export to Nigeria.

Some Products Are Exempt From SONCAP Certification

The following products are listed in the CBN Circular and do not require a SONCAP Certificate:

  • Food Products
  • Drugs (Medicines)
  • Medical Products (other than equipment and machines)
  • Chemicals used as Raw Material by bonafide manufacturer
  • Military Ware and Equipment
  • Goods classified as contraband by the Federal Government of Nigeria
  • Used products other than automobiles

However, the above listed exempted products may need to comply with other Nigerian regulatory requirements.

Specific Product Requirements For Nigeria

Life Endangering/High Risk products

Life Endangering/High-Risk Products are products which pose a greater safety risk to consumers because of their nature and therefore such products will require higher level of assessment during the certification process.

These products are:

  • Automobile Glass
  • Batteries
  • Brake Fluids
  • Brake pads
  • Cements
  • Cigarettes, Cigarette Lighter
  • Smoking Pipes, Cigar Or Cigarette Holders
  • Convertors, Chargers Electrical cables
  • Electrical fuses
  • Electrical parts
  • Electrical Switches
  • Fertilizer
  • Gas Regulator
  • Gypsum
  • Water Heaters
  • Gas Water Heater
  • Helmets, Safety Headgears
  • Lightening Arrestors
  • Lubricating Preparations
  • Matches
  • Paints
  • Razor
  • Safety belts
  • Safety Glasses
  • Sanitary pads
  • Solar panels
  • Stabilizer
  • Iron and Steel products
  • Steel Roofing Sheets
  • Storage Vessels
  • Telephone (Line telephone sets with cordless handsets & Telephones for cellular networks or for other wireless networks)
  • Tyres

Energy Efficiency Requirements (EER)

The below listed products must comply with the Energy Efficiency Requirements in addition to the safety standard requirements:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Refrigerators

For the latest list of products and updates for Energy Efficiency requirements, contact your nearest Intertek Office.

Tax Identification Number (TIN)

A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is an unique number assigned to use for tax purposes in Nigeria. This reference is mandatory for Importers who intend to import regulated products into Nigeria.

The Applicant should provide Intertek with the Importer’s TIN number during SONCAP Certification Process.

Banker’s Acceptance Number (BA No.)

Banker’s Acceptance Number specifies the amount of money, date and the person to whom the payment is due. The Banker’s Acceptance Number is indicated in the Form M issued to the Importer.

The Applicant should provide Intertek with the BA No. during SONCAP Certification Process.

Form M

The Form ‘M’ is used by Importers to declare their intention to import goods to Nigeria. The Form ‘M’ is issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The Importer obtains this information from CBN/SON on the basis of the Product Certificate (Unregistered/Unlicensed, Registered and Licensed Status) and other import related documents.

Form Q

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) introduced a new form called the “Form Q”. Form Q shall be used by Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) to improve access to foreign exchanges (FOB value equal to or less than US $20,000.00). Form Q was designed without a Banker’s Acceptance number (BA no.), as Form Q has a unique reference number which replaces the BA no.

Nigeria Business Export Guide
Resource Centre